Friday, October 11, 2019 / by Lauren McGinnis
Saving thousands of dollars can feel overwhelming but luckily there are several options to help realize the dream of owning your own home. Not all of the programs are publicized. That's where working with a REALTOR can help! Here are some tips to help you find the right down payment assistance for you.
- The first thing we recommend is to ask your REALTOR or lender. They would be able to help guide you to programs best matching your criteria or, at the very least, put you on the right track.
- If you do not have a REALTOR yet, start with a national search. When you search for programs that aren't connected to a specific location, you give yourself more options. Doing your own research will not only make you more informed, but could also help you find a program that matches your requirements.
- The third thing we suggest is to check programs that are centralized to your own state. If you check the HUD webpage, you can narrow your search to your specific state, including the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Now, take it to an even smaller group -- local. Try searching for options in your city and those cities surrounding you. A number of cities have multiple options for first-time home buyers. One of the biggest advantages of searching locally is being able to walk into a space and talk to someone face-to-face. Again, that's why your best bet is to get in touch with a REALTOR. You may be able to find more help than you knew was available because he or she can certainly put you in touch with a local company specialized in helping with down payment assistance.
- Finally, if you haven't found a program that fits your needs after the previous searches, try looking for programs based on your profession. Most people have heard about VA Loans for our military members -- but did you know there are options for several other professions as well?